Shopping for other people can be a challenge. Unless you know exactly what that person likes or needs, you’re really just hoping for the best. Especially when, as an adult, you’re trying to gift things to your parents. We’ve all experienced that faux love of an item that your parent tries to use to hide their utter dislike of whatever you got for them. Or, if you have really picky parents, their just casting aside of the gift as soon as they open it. Ouch. Today, I’m kicking off a week of gifting by sharing some ideas of gifts for loved ones. For now, here are some gift ideas for mom.
For the Artsy Mom
For those with the artistic mom, think about what kind of art she enjoys. Does she love going to art galleries? Creating/painting/needlework/etc? Let that guide you when trying to find the perfect gift.
- Museum Passes- Pick one or a couple of art museums or galleries that you think your mother would enjoy. Even plan to go yourself and make a day of taking in all of the art and maybe a few drinks.
- New supplies- If you mom is the creative type, pick up a few of the items that she needs for her craft. New canvases, paint, brushes, etc. can all be picked up at Michael’s fairly cheap this time of year!
- Night at the Theatre- Have a mom who is always singing showtunes or just loves going to plays? Pick up two tickets to an upcoming show that you think she’d like. Maybe she’ll even bring you along!
- Muse On It- Plan a night out together at a local paint bar! Enjoy some wine and trying to follow instructions with your mom and paint the night (or afternoon) away!
For the Activist Momma
With the way the world is going nowadays, it seems like everyone has at least one “woke” parents– I know that I have two most days. Help your mom show her resister status this Christmas with one of these gifts.
- Feminist Tees- Pick out a feminist t-shirt or two for your mom to wear to her next protest! Pair it with a few buttons she can pin to her jacket for the 2019 Women’s March in January.
- Read All About It- Add to your mom’s bookshelf with some activist books (both serious and hilarious) with titles like Shade: A Tale of Two Presidents by Pete Souza, Yes We (Still) Can by Dan Pfeiffer, and Whose Boat Is This Boat? by the Staff of the Late Show.
- Donate- Donate to the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, NAACP, the Human Rights Campaign, the Sierra Club, the Trevor Project, or any other causes near and dear to your mother’s heart.
For the Reader
Add to your mom’s bookshelf with some of the hottest bestsellers around!
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers by Maxwell King
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg: A Life by Jane Sherron De Hart
Of course there are plenty of others as well.
For the Foodie
Does your mom love to cook, bake, or just eat? Try these gifts.
- Cooking classes- go together and learn how to make a dish together!
- Deliver a Meal- Get your mom a few meals delivered from a meal kit supplier like Hello Fresh.
- Get Cooking- Purchase a few new cookbooks to add to the kitchen. Take a look at Cravings: Hungry for More by Chrissy Teigen and Whiskey in a Teacup by Reese Witherspoon.
Of course, these aren’t the only type of moms out there. What type of mom do you have and what are you thinking about getting her for the holidays?