November is almost upon us and that means that it is just about time for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) to begin! If you’ve never head of this crazy event before, let me fill you in. NaNoWriMo is an annual, online, creative writing extravaganza. Every year, thousands set out to write a 50,000 word novel by 11:59pm on November 30th. It is a daunting task and not for everyone. I’ve tried a few years and never get past the half way point. Life is just too busy. So, to celebrate and still be creative during NaNoWriMo, I’m going to work on some Flash Fiction– short pieces of fiction that total about 500 to 1000 words each. While not the same as fully participating in writing a novel in November, it gets the creative juices flying!
So, during the month of November I’ll be switching from my usual blog posts to some daily creative writing! There will still be a few of my regular posts sprinkled in but until then, enjoy some flash fiction!
Want to join in? I’m sharing a few of my prompts below!
- A childhood toy has come to life and tells you something that will change your life
- You know you’re being followed
- A significant moment in your life transposed into a different time period
- You wake up one day and can understand everything your dog is saying.
- You only have one day a year with the person you love.
- A stranger gives you a note saying “Get out now, while you still can.”
- Tell the villan’s story from your favorite fairy tale
- “You really have no clue who I am?”
- Give an epic story to a birth mark you have
- There are only 5 faces in the whole world
- Your future self pays you a visit
More to come! See you in November for some flash fiction!