I’m turning 24 this month. Because of that, I’m going to be posting a lot of “birthday” themed posts this month. With that, I wanted to try and highlight some things that were going on since 1994. Today, that means looking at some of the top songs of the last twenty four years. Now, music went all over the place since 1994. Really, we went from grunge to boy bands and beyond. Looking at the Billboard 100 for each year, there is a lot of diversity in music. To try and cut down on how long this post could be, I’m trying to pick only three songs from each year. You can see the list of all of my top picks (it was really hard to narrow it down some years!) in this post. Lets Get Into It:
1994: The year I was born. Bill Clinton was president, Sheryl Crow released “All I Wanna Do”, Tanya Harding is stripped of her figure skating title after attacking Nancy Kerrigan. It was a year. Or so I’m told. Since I was, ya know, a newborn, I’ve had to pick these songs based on which ones I like as an adult. Which will be the case until about 2000s. Here are are top 3:
- Loser by Beck
- Gin and Juice by Snoop Dogg
- Shine by Collective Soul
- Run Around by Blues Traveler
- Waterfalls by TLC
- Gangsta’s Paradise by Coolio
1996: Dolly the cloned sheep, Diana and Charles get divorced, 101 Dalmatians, DVDs make their first appearance.
- Wonderwall by Oasis
- California Love by 2Pac
- Who Will Save Your Soul by Jewel
1997: Princess Diana dies, Pathfinder lands on Mars, Madeleine Albright becomes the first female Secretary of State, Lion King premieres on Broadway, Tiger Woods becomes the youngest person to win the Master’s, and Steve Jobs returns to Apple.
- Barbie Girl by Aqua
- Tubthumping by Chumbawumba
- Wannabe by Spice Girls
1998: Google, Bill Clinton denies sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky, Bill Clinton is impeached, Titanic is in theaters, I cease to be an only child.
- One Week by Barenaked Ladies
- Everybody by Backstreet Boys
- Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve
1999: Bill Clinton is acquitted, Spongebob premieres on Nickelodeon, Columbine, Barbie turns 40, Y2K, the new Millennium, My Space starts the social media craze, Napster, Star Wars: Episode 1. On a personal note, I graduated from kindergarten and we were known as the “Millennium Graduates”. The decorations in the auditorium were holographic and butterflies. Not sure if that means anything.
- All Star by Smash Mouth
- …One More Time by Brittney Spears
- Smooth by Santana and Rob Thomas
2000: Vermont legalizes same sex marriage, the Playstation 2 is released, Bush v. Gore, AOL buys Time Warner, The London Eye opens, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire hits bookshelves.
- All the Small Things by Blink-182
- The Real Slim Shady by Eminem
- What a Girl Wants by Christina Aguilera
2001: 9/11 and the beginning of the War on Terror, “Summer of the Shark”, the first iPod is released, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring hit theaters. George W. Bush is the president.
- Let Me Blow Ya Mind by Eve and Gwen Stafani
- Drive by Incubus
- Drops of Jupiter by Train
2002: Former US President Jimmy Carter receives Nobel Peace Prize, Mars Odyssey finds signs of water on Mars, Year of the Sequel: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers, Star Wars: Attack of the Clones.
- Complicated by Avril Lavigne
- Hot in Herre by Nelly
- In the End by Linkin Park
2003: The Human Genome project is completed, the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster, America switches from “French Fries” to “Freedom Fries”, Arnold Schwarzenegger is elected governor of California, Galileo crashes into Jupiter, iTunes launches.
- The Remedy by Jason Mraz
- Lose Yourself by Eminem
- She Hates Me by Puddle of Mudd
2004: The Cassini Probe gives us the first close photos of Saturn’s rings, Red Sox win their first World Series since 1918, Martha Stewart goes to prison, Summer Olympics held in Athens, Greece.
- Hey Ya! by Outkast
- Yeah! by Usher
- This Love by Maroon 5
2005: Hurricane Katrina destroys New Orleans, YouTube is founded, Live 8 concert held worldwide.
- Mr. Brightside by The Killers
- Don’t Cha by The Pussycat Dolls
- Numb/Encore by Linkin Park and Jay Z
2006: Google buys YouTube, New Horizons heads to Pluto, one billionth song purchased on iTunes, Pluto is downgraded to a Dwarf Planet.
- You’re Beautiful by James Blunt
- Bad Day by Daniel Powter
- Temperature by Sean Paul
2007: The iPhone is announced, Barack Obama is among the nine Democrats running for president, the final Harry Potter book is published, Nancy Pelosi becomes the first woman to be elected Speaker of the House.
- Hey There Delilah by Plain White T’s
- Cupid’s Chokehold/Breakfast in America by Gym Class Heroes ft. Patrick Stump
- Thnks fr th Mmrs by Fall Out Boy
2008: US pushes bailouts, the writers strike impacts talk shows and other television, Barack Obama is elected as the first African American president. In another personal note, I graduated from 8th grade and started high school during this year.
- Viva La Vida by Coldplay
- Love Song by Sara Bareilles
- Shake It by Metro Station
2009: The Hubble Telescope is repaired, Obama is inaugurated as the 44th president of the United States, the global financial crisis continues.
- Use Somebody by Kings of Leon
- Don’t Trust Me by 3OH!3
- Fireflies by Owl City
2010: The new decade! The Winter Olympics are held in Vancouver, the Affordable Care Act is passed in the United States, the iPad is released.
- Airplanes by B.o.B feat. Haley Williams
- Animal by Neon Trees
- The Only Exception by Paramore
2011: “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” is repealed, the Occupy Wall Street protests begin, the world tuned in for the royal wedding of William and Kate.
- Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People
- Someone Like You by Adele
- All of the Lights by Kanye West
2012: Barack Obama is elected to a second term, the Mars Curiosity Rover lands on Mars, The Avengers hits theaters, Hurricane Sandy devastates the east coast of the US, everyone thinks that the world is going to end according to the Mayan calendar. I graduated from high school in the spring of 2012!
- We Are Young by fun. feat Janelle Monae
- Home by Phillip Phillips
- Brokenhearted by Karmin
2013: The Boston Marathon Bombing happens, the US Government shuts down, Miley’s “twerking” moment gets everyone talking.
- Can’t Hold Us by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton
- I Love It by Icona Pop feat. Charlie XCX
- Light Em Up by Fall Out Boy
2014: Oh boy… there was an ebola outbreak, the rise of ISIS, the Republican party took control of the senate (which culminated in the death of checks and balances in 2018), Robin Williams passes away.
- Pompeii by Bastille
- Latch by Disclosure feat. Sam Smith
- Come With Me Now by Kongos
2015: Millennials surpassed Baby Boomers as the largest generation, same sex marriage became a right in the US, Space X launched the first reusable rocket into orbit and recovered it. I also turned 21 during this year!
- Take Me to Church by Hozier
- Sorry by Justin Bieber
- Talking Body by Tove Lo
2016: Hillary Clinton wins the popular vote but Donald Trump becomes the 45th president of the United States, Brexit, Zika, the Rio Olympics, Standing Rock. I graduated from college!
- Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots
- Me, Myself, and I by G-Eazy x Bebe Rexha
- Let It Go by James Bay
2017: The Women’s March becomes the signgle largest one day protest in history, Women speak their truth during #MeToo, the US gets hit with Hurricans Harvey, Irma, and Maria, the largest shooting in US history takes place in Las Vegas.
- Shape of You by Ed Sheeran
- Humble by Kendrick Lamar
- Heathens by twenty one pilots
2018: And now we’re here….
- This Is America by Childish Gambino
- Hunger by Florence and the Machine
- Jumpsuit by twenty one pilots
And there we go, twenty four years in music!