This week I turned twenty three years old. I got to spend my birthday with my family and, currently, I’m continuing the celebration in the White Mountains of New Hampshire with friends for the weekend. Over the last year, I’ve had a lot of ups and downs. I’ve grown a lot as an adult and person. I’ve learn a lot about myself and who I want to be. So, without further ado, here are twenty two things that I’ve learned this year.
- You don’t have to get along with everyone. I spent so much of my life trying to please everyone that I ended up being someone that I didn’t like in a lot of situations. Plus it is pretty much impossible to get along with everyone. Trying to do so will drive you crazy. Oh, and not everyone is worth being friends with. Do what you need to do and get along with who you can.
- Care for yourself. Seriously, this shouldn’t even be on this list but taking care of yourself, in every way, is one of the biggest lessons I’ve learned this year. Everyone could use this lesson though. Take care of yourself.
- Let It Go. Sometimes, the best thing you can do for yourself is let go. Let go of the pain. Of those who repeatedly hurt you. Let it all go. It’ll be the best thing you ever do. Holding on to anger, pain, sadness will just hold you back. Break free and let it all go.
- Organize. Oh. My. God. Being organized will save your life. Maybe literally. Be organized in every way you can. Get a calendar. Keep track of meeting notes. Make a budget. Get organized.
- Be Spontaneous from Time to Time. I am terrible at being spontaneous. Like really terrible. Like so terrible that the only fight my boyfriend and I have ever so far was because of me trying to be spontaneous while driving around on date night.
- Push Yourself. There is nothing wrong with trying to better yourself and going further.
- Tinder is a shit show. In the past year I ended a three year long relationship (rough break up but OH SO needed) and ended up on Tinder for the first time. Holy shit is that place a shit show. But also kind of worth it? If you have the patience to weed through all the sex crazed, slightly terrible people on there, you might just get lucky. That is how I ended up with the current BF for the last eight months– and they have been a great eight months!
- Try New Things/ Take Risks. I mean, don’t do anything super dangerous but you know… Try a new type of food. Go somewhere new. Meet new people. Get out there and try something that you’ve never done before!
- Go It Alone Sometimes. The day will come and you will have to do things on your own. If you’ve never traveled/gone to the mall/ done anything alone, now may be the time. I used to never do anything alone and now it doesn’t even phase me. Although sometimes I wish I had a mall buddy because the kiosk guys can be way too aggressive. There is definitely something to be gained by trying to do things on your own.
- Be Honest. Okay, so maybe this wasn’t a real lesson that I learned over the last year but it one that is always in development. This year I really learned to be honest with myself.
- It is okay to not know what you want. I am over a year out of college and I still don’t know what I want to do. This actually spreads into my whole life. I’ve learned that this okay though. Most people in their twenties don’t know what they want!
- Don’t Be Afraid to Dream Big. Dream big or go home, right?
- Identify What Is Keeping Down. Much like with a lot of the other lessons that I learned this year, this one is all about self reflection. Take a look at yourself and see what things are making you unhappy. Make a change once you identify it.
- Confront Your Emotions Head On. Being too emotional or not in touch with your emotions can be damaging to yourself and your relationships if you can’t confront them.
- Know Yourself.
17. Admit Your Mistakes, Fix It, Move On. I think this is something that everyone needs to do. Humans just don’t like to admit mistakes. Or fix them. So realize you made a mistake and fix it.
18. Don’t Let The Past Hold You Back. Can you tell this was a year of self reflection yet?
19. Don’t Be Afraid to Ask For Help. So know how I said, “go it alone sometimes”? Well, make sure that you aren’t afraid to ask for help. You don’t have to do everything alone. If you need help, ask for it.
20. Read, Read, Read
21. Rid Yourself of Toxic People. You will be so much happier without them. Trust me.
22. Know What You Need. Figure out what you need or need to do and make a plan to make it happen.